SpeakIt is an extension of the Google Chrome web browser. With Text-to-Speech Technology, SpeakIt can automatically detect the language of a text and turn text into speech.
With the support of Google and iSpeech text-to-speech service, this extension can read text in more than 50 languages, like English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean.
How to use:
- First select the text you want SpeakIt to read for you
- Then click the icon to start listening
- When it is ready to read, the number of sentences is shown on the icon
- Stop listening at any time by clicking the pause button
Handy tool to convert text to speech
There are several use cases for sound synthesizer. One is to help proofread your writing and locate errors. Another is to record speeches and then add them into your videos as narration. This extension doesn’t provide recording nor saving functions, so you have to use other applications (e.g. Audacity) to record your computer playback.
Tips for using the product
The default SpeakIt text-to-speech engine detects input language by language of whole page but not only selected text. As a result, it will use the Mandarin engine to read an English sentence on a Chinese web page. To solve this problem, you may either
- Go to the extension’s Options page and set a specific language that you want the engine to read for you; or
- Copy and paste the sentences to an English web page with a text field (e.g. https://www.google.co.uk/)